Thursday, March 04, 2010

This and That

Ours is a bit of a revolving door these days.  Whether it's us leaving or others coming, we haven't had a "regular" weekend since January.  This leaves me either cleaning furiously or packing hurriedly on all but a  few days of the week.  And the events, oh the events, they are wonderful, but my mother and I are planning several of them this spring.  There was Els' birthday last weekend, a wedding shower next weekend, and an upcoming family reunion in April.  Also in the mix are several weddings which we are happily not planning.  (This year at least.)

Don't get me wrong.  I love planning, I love cooking, and, well, I don't really mind cleaning.  I relish being in a house full of people that I love, but it all goes by so fast, like flashes before my eyes.  Life at this pace doesn't leave a lot of time for reflection and certainly less time for blogging.  So, I guess I'm writing about it today because I want to enjoy all of this "together" time.  I want to be able to hit the pause button and have meaningful conversations with everyone I see.  I want to be able to write for you what I'm learning through it all, I'm just not sure what that is right now.

In addition, B is going through some crazy changes at work.  He jokes that he feels like a ping pong ball, hit back and forth by the whims and purposes of the powers that be.  I tend to think of his work situation as a roulette wheel where he's the ball.  Where will he land when the wheel stops turning? (4? 8? 15? 16? 23? 42?, but I digress...)

As I pondered all of this before going to sleep last night, the thought occurred to me, "What if I really believed that a loving God was in control of all this?  I mean REALLY in control.  How would I live?"  A lot more confidently, I think.  So, that's my prayer for our little family right now.  That we would learn to live confidently because of a loving God that has us hemmed in, behind and before.
P.S.  I love this shot of my girl on her birthday.  At one you're still unafraid to show how you feel.  Even at your birthday party!

1 comment:

heather ryan morse said...

amen! on all accounts!