Sunday, December 10, 2006

Skinny Jeans

I have been meaning to write about this for quite some time, so, finding myself in the middle of a paper and wanting to procrastinate more, here goes...Skinny jeans, they're "all the rage" this year for some ungodly reason. They fit only 0.02% of the population and they are not even flattering on those people. I know that everyone in my generation swore that we would never, EVER resort back to the clothing of our elementary school years, yet, here we are again. At the beginning of the season when they first began to rear their wide backsides and tight ankles, I was utterly appalled. Then, like magic, I found myself wanting a pair one day. I even went so far as to go to a store and try on a pair. Fortunately for me, ten years of running has left me with "plus sized calf muscles" and the jeans wouldn't even make it up to my waist. So, what I normally consider a curse (my legs), saved me from myself. Now it seems like people are again realizing why we've hated this style since the last time it went out. They seem to be going out quietly, which is good for all women.

Not to spiritualize everything, but when I was thinking about this earlier today, I thought about how this is very similar to the way that sin works. On the outside and at first glance, it might seem horrible and unlike anything that I would ever do. Then, little by little, I see others doing it, hear about how good it may look, and I find myself trying it on for size. It's tricky like that. And it's exactly the reason why I must continually look to Christ for my life, my satisfaction, my guidance, my LIFE. The world will only leave me uncomfortable and funny looking, trying to be something other than who I was created to be.

So, ladies, proudly wear your boot-cut and flare legged pants, and look to Christ, the author and perfector of our faith.

No comments: