Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Everything and nothing

"I got the dress, I got the rings, I got a song that I can sing,
I got the bread, I got the wine, but I've the life that I left behind,
I've got everything, but I got nothing without you.."
- Derek Webb

There's one thing that I tell people when they're about to get married now. And it is: You're still the same person when you walk back down the aisle as you were when you were walking up it. I think that it's the one thing that I wish someone had told me, that I would still be the same and that Brian would also. Not that it would have changed my decision, I think I would have been a whole heck of a lot more prepared for married life than I was if I had realized this crucial fact. It's just that as a little girl, I dreamed of having a wedding and a prince charming and riding off into the sunset to live happily ever after. And, while life's great, it's certainly not that. I still have all of the same quirks and insecurities now, I still worry about the same stuff, and am plagued by the same sin. Before I was married, I somehow thought that all of the issues would fade when I became Mrs. Magee but they didn't. And I realize I may be starting to sound negative about marriage, but wait for it, I'm not finished yet.

I love being Brian's wife. I love him so much more than I did on our wedding day. But contrary to popular belief, he did not complete me. He did not fulfill me. Only Christ can do that. So, I must still trust Him like I did in my singleness. My whole worth must STILL come from Him alone. If I have it all, I have nothing without Jesus Christ.

No comments: