Friday, October 26, 2012

Dyed Wool

We live in Middle Georgia.  Fairs are big here, and when I say big, I mean BIG.  The granddaddy of them all is the yearly Georgia National Fair in Perry.  (Don't ask me how it can be both a state and national fair, I don't pretend to understand.  There are just some things about this place you have to accept and move on without much thought.)  There are rides, games, exhibits, farm animals, exotic animals, pig races, tractors, and plenty of fried food for everyone.

B could not believe that I had never been to a state fair before, so two weekends ago, we went to the national (state) fair and it did not disappoint.  The kids rode ponies, held baby chicks, drank complementary chocolate milk, and lunched on corn dogs.  By far the favorite part of the day for all of us was the animals.  Cows, pigs, chickens, a tortoise, ring-tailed lemurs, sea lions, etc, etc.  And sheep.

One of our favorite movies is Babe.  It's amazing.  I don't mind at all when Els' chooses it to watch.  If you've never had the privilege of seeing it, it's pretty much about a pig who wants to be a sheep dog.  There is a scene where Babe the pig helps round up all of the sheep for shearing.  Last time we watched the movie, Els was very inquisitive about what was happening during this part.  I tried the best I could to explain to her about sheep haircuts and wool and how we use it to make sweaters and socks. So, imagine our delight when the sheep farmers had a display of wool, how it's spun, and even several examples of colored wool.  Els looked at the different colors and said, "Mommy, I've never seen a pink sheep before.  That's silly."  I then went on to explain to her that we use dye to make the whitish brown wool different colors.  End of discussion.

Until when, a few days later, out of the blue, she says to B in a matter-of-fact tone, "You know, Daddy, when sheep die they just fall over and turn pink or purple."

Die.  Dye.  Literal going on 4-year-olds.

Petting farm animals is the best!

Muh riding Lil' Bit

30 or maybe 31 weeks pregnant.  I fit right in, walking around, corn dog in hand.

Els and I rode the "Agri-Lift," or Ride in the Sky as she called it.

Miller loves tractors, 4 wheelers, pretty much anything on wheels.
Here are a few pictures from the day.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

that is so funny! i love 4 yr olds. glad you got to the fair...we always loved that time of year. keep up the good work faithful mama. you look adorable, corn-dog and all!

Jen said...

I'm about to DIE laughing! ;) That was hysterical. Your sarcasm about the national (state) fair was the type that I could totally picture you telling the story...I laughed out loud at El's sheep comment and then I laughed out loud again at YOUR "I fit right in" comment. Oh, how I miss you Dear Friend. You look adorable and I'm praying for y'all. SO missing you!

Betsy said...

Babe holds a special spot for me as well. It is just such a sweet (and oddly funny, sometimes morbid) movie. I still tear up when the Farmer sings to Babe, it is the song I sing to Sibby at night...and in the end, when he says, "That'll do pig."
Fairs are awesome. A slice of Georgia, for sure!