Monday, September 27, 2010

Overwhelmed

I have the opening line of the theme song for "The Wonder Years" stuck in my head this afternoon.  "What would you think if I sang out of tune, would you stand up and walk out on me?"  Would you think less of me if I told you that I'm a bit overwhelmed right now?  The very last thing in the world that I want to do is complain about my life.  I have a wonderful life, I just feel like I constantly and consistently fail at it.  My days are filled with a very vivacious 19-month-old (today!) who is exploding with words and new things she can do.  As her mommy, I feel like I am always struggling with how to channel this never ending energy into positive things and teach her well about the world around us.

My nights are filled with an extremely active little boy who is sitting pretty low at this point which means lots of trips to the bathroom and middle of the night stretching.  As his mommy, I feel like I do a bad job remembering that he's even there until he kicks me in the ribs because my mind is so occupied by his big sister.  I am always putting off what needs to be done and bought for him because his birth is still so far in the future in my mind.  It is hard to believe that he could be with us on the outside in as little as six or seven weeks!

In short, God has been so gracious and generous with me and I want to do what He's given me to do well and I just flat out don't know how to.  But I want to.  I pray for my children all the time, I just don't know what else to do to put them in the right paths.  So, if there are any seasoned moms out there reading this, what do you do in the day to day?  Activities for a toddler?  Advice for handling the day with more than one?  I know that it's a broad question, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for (once again) listening.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

http://www.9marks.org/ejournal/young-mother-ministry-guilt-and-seasons-life

have you read this article? there is no formula for doing it "right" every day. we all need discernment for each challenging moment (especially when they are learning so much so fast!). i keep forgetting how close together our new little ones will be! hang in there friend!

Grace said...

I love toddler play! I'll bring you a list of ideas, but keep on providing structure, watching and learning about her, teaching through song (old birds teaching young birds), reading, loving and praying. And you may find that two is easier than one... some days. :)

Jen said...

Unfortunately, I don't have much to add here! Other than to tell you that you are NOT alone! Even having 4, I still feel this way- not to be discouraging. But I will tell you that Eliana is in a "difficult" exploratory stage. STAGE. It will pass. And you will miss it later. Addie is at the EXACT same stage and I think I have similar thoughts about her daily. Just constantly feeling like I'm lacking and wondering how to love her, and the others better. But it's very difficult at this stage to keep them entertained and out of trouble, while being constructive and purposeful all at the same time. This too SHALL pass. And yes, I think you'll find she's more "distracted" once the babe comes along. She'll enjoy "helping" and watching and following and mimicking with her own babies. Everything starts to get landslides better when they start "playing on their own" which usually happens developmentally in the 2's. We're close. It's hard not to wish them older- but speaking from experience, while you're in it- it seems like it's so frustrating and going to last forever. But it passes and new "trials" fill the place. I hope I'm not discouraging you here...God is ever present and refining you along the process. YOu'll look back and see His hand all along and you'll have wonderful memories from this time and from the "exploratory" stage! :) Lots of love to you...and prayers for nightly rest too! I know how hard it is to get a good nights sleep!