Monday, April 12, 2010

This is 6 Days Late

April 6, 2002 was such a life changing day for me, I've already blogged about it before.  Since that post was mainly about Grace, I thought I'd expound upon something I merely touched on there.  On that fateful Saturday, I wore an off-white dress suit thing that I loved at the time but now can't believe I would ever wear.  I sang in the wedding of two dear friends and spent most of the reception trying to avoid a boy that I had broken up with several months before.  Most importantly, though, I was finally introduced to the friend of a close friend that I had heard a lot about.  Brian Magee, I finally met the famous Brian Magee and the name had a face.  A face that, at that time, was framed by shaggy hair and a goatee, the combination of which made me think that he was a lot older than me.  Too old for me, so, on that day, I never gave him a second thought.

Skip a month, to late May, when in the frenzy of getting ready to go out with my best friend from high school, I met this guy again.  In my parent's basement, watching a movie with my brother.  This time, his head was shaved, but the goatee still remained.  I remember thinking that he was good looking and maybe not as old as I had previously thought.

Fast forward a wonderful trip-filled summer to my first semester at UGA.  Oh, there were new guys everywhere, but I kept running into one in particular that seemed different to me.  Brian Magee.  And, as it turned out, we are the same age.  (Well, 7 months apart, but same "grade.")  He was handsome, intriguing, interesting, and pretty much unlike anyone I'd ever met.

We started dating that fall and the rest, as they say, is history.

"You turned me into somebody loved..."  -The Weepies

4 comments:

Ellen said...

i so remember being in biology lab with you (remember being the star group?) and you talking about this interesting guy you had met hanging out with your brother and your first date! fun, fun memories. btw, is paco still around?

BDish said...

Do you remember when I said you would meet your husband by September?!

Kels said...

Ellen-I have been wracking my brain but I don't remember biology lab! Isn't that crazy? I remember discussing our respective boyfriends/now husbands at length, but not in biology. I feel like I have alzheimers!

B-I thought there was no way that I would meet my husband by September, but, alas, you were right. I remember telling you about this one guy in particular that I had a good feeling about! ha!

Adam and Ellen2 said...

you don't remember our first class together? that kind of makes me feel like a stalker. we were lab partners in 2nd semester bio (your first semester at uga) and our ta was a blond guy with a beard and a lisp. there were one or two gymdawgs in our lab too, remember? then the next semester we had some nutrition classes together...ah drs grider and lewis. i remember we both knew dorie...