Sunday, July 15, 2007

All we need is love

Five words that rarely come out of my mouth after a radio announcer says, "And here is a song by Nickelback called...," are "Ooohh, I like this song." But that is exactly what you would have heard if you had been in the car with us on the way to Publix last Sunday. I know, I know, it's sad, but hear me out before you judge me. I don't know what the name of the song is, but it's the one that was on the commercial for "Heroes" sometime this last year. The chorus is something like, "If everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride, we'd see the day that nobody died."

It struck me as I heard the song today that the chorus was unintentionally alluding to something that Brian and I have been talking a lot about lately. We've been reading through Romans and it talks a lot about the tension between living by the law and living by faith, but it says that the law is good. So, we were pondering whether we should still live by the whole law when I remembered the verse that I think is in Matthew where Jesus said that the whole law can be summed up in the two commandments, love the Lord your God and love your neighbor as yourself. We discussed how true it is that if we really loved God and everyone there would be no need for all of the other laws. We would naturally fulfill them if we actually all loved each other as ourselves. And I think that whether they are meaning to or not, that is what Nickelback is talking about as well in the "Heroes" commercial song.

Now, I won't get into how because of the fall we are born into sin and we can't fulfill the law so that's why Jesus came, to fulfill it and be the sacrifice in our place in this blog, but maybe we'll get there in another. Romans is fabulous.

Also, as Brian says, "don't hate" about me liking the Nickelback song. I promise it's the only one I don't cringe at.

No comments: